Saturday, August 28, 2010

I Left My Underwear in San Francisco


I've decided to get out an old manuscript and work on it. I started it back in 2001 when my life seemed to be on the right course. I had been married 30 years, had one son graduating from high school and another son in college. I'd just come back from New York and meeting with my editor at Holiday House. My book, Don't Bug Me!, would be out in June. I told my editor about another book I was working and she loved it! I had it about half-way done and it was another very funny book. She urged me to finish it and send it to her. It seemed like everything was going great, going in the right direction...until I got home.

Then my world flipped upside-down. My husband decided to become a cliche and run off with his secretary. And I could no longer write "funny." So I put that novel aside and tried to put the fragments of my old life into a new shape. In the meantime, I wrote mostly nonfiction. The fiction I did write didn't have my usual humor -- I just didn't seem to have it in me.

But, now, eight years later, I've decided to try again. I've pulled out that novel, I Left My Underwear in San Francisco, and now I'm in the process of rereading it, trying to get my bearings again in that word sea. So, now I've given myself a deadline to finish it by the end of the year. I'd love to have most of it done by the end of October, but that might be rushing it.

Why drag out an old novel? Why not just start a new one? I'm not sure, except that I've always really liked this book. And I think I want to prove to myself that I can do this, that I can finish this book. It's something that I've wanted to do for a long time. And now I plan on doing it.

I'll let you know my progress on this novel...and you can keep me accountable.

4 comments:

  1. Will do, Pam.

    So, how many words/pages a day are you writing?

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This is neat! I'm so glad you are going to finish the book. It's significant, because it says you have found a "new normal" and can once again laugh and see humor in life. That's good! After this many years have passed, you will probably add things to the book you wouldn't have before making it even more super than it would have been knowing you! You gooooooooooooo girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cost of cotton long underwear is generally around $12 and the cost is around $9 for cotton short underwear. Clients need to pick their underwear in the wake of considering elements, for example, climate and their physical exercises.Top 10 best mens long underwear

    ReplyDelete